This week I attended a training session on influencing skills. Here are the main points:
- Know your target: who are you trying to influence and what motivates them
- Know the system: know the company, the company culture, who reports to whom, etc.
- Know yourself: know your strength and weaknesses
- Know what you want (don’t be vague!): do your research and know why you’re in the discussion
- Know a range of influencing strategies and tactics, e.g. pressure, rational persuasion, consultation: during a discussion, change the tactic you’re using if it doesn’t work
Another good tip: if you think a meeting has lost focus, make everyone get up and move around. Their mood will change and they will more positive.
Forget about trying to influence a group. You can only really influence individuals.